Global Mapper v25.0

ArcGIS Server services

redbeard
redbeard Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited August 2009 in Suggestion Box
Can GlobalMapper connect to ArcGIS servers? (I haven't found anything on the forums). I mean not the connection where you upload changes, but to display their maps, like their basemaps found here ArcGIS Online Resource Center

if it can't connect, will it? (why I post this here). If not, oh well, I have openstreetmap and terraserver.

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited August 2009
    Global Mapper does not currently support connecting to ArcIMS servers, which is what I'm guessing these are. It does of course support WMS. We may add support for ArcIMS in the future, although I'm honestly not sure if ESRI even documents that standard so it might not even be possible for us to work with data hosted on ArcIMS servers.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • redbeard
    redbeard Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited August 2009
    it looks like might use REST based on this url -http://server.arcgisonline.com/ArcGIS/rest/services-
    which is part of the API link.

I know they released some new stuff or made some new announcements recently on the web front, free for internal/non commercial use or something.
    ArcGIS Online APIs
    I don't know the esri licensing, so I'm not even sure it is allowed from a legal standpoint.
  • redbeard
    edited August 2009
    here is the press release I thought I saw
    Press Release -- ESRI Releases Web Mapping APIs at No Cost
  • global_mapper
    edited August 2009
    I think the new APIs are for developing web services that access your own ArcGIS database, although I'm not 100% sure. Typically ESRI doesn't put out anything useful for free and typically keeps any formats internal for as long as possible to avoid competition. We'll take a look at the ArcIMS format at some point to see if support is possible though.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • global_mapper
    edited August 2009
    I think the key phrase in the press release is that access is provided for non-commercial access to database built-on ArcGIS server. I think they just released their APIs for non-commercial use to access ArcGIS data, this wouldn't be something that Global Mapper could use.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • redbeard
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, it seems that is what they are up to. Their formats have never been my favorite, as it tended to do a vendor lock in. (geodatabase anyone?)

I just thought I'd ask, to see if this had been looked at.