Global Mapper v25.0

Display labels

chrise
chrise Global Mapper User
edited April 2009 in Technical Support
Dear Support,
I have a question (hopefully simple one) relating to displaying labels from a shapefile.

a) Is there a tutorial for this? I cannot get any labels to display for a particular attribute...
b) I want to export the shapefile using the Google Maps tile export function too - Is it possible to display certain labels for given zoom levels?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited April 2009
    To use a particular attribute for a display label, simply open the Control Center, select the Shapefile layer, press Options, then choose which attribute(s) to use for the display label and press OK.

It's not really possible to control what zoom levels certain labels show up at. If you classify your features so that some points have a higher priority (like say larger city types), those labels will take priority over others of lower priority if the labels would collide, which may allow you some measure of control.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • chrise
    edited April 2009
    Hi Mike

Thanks for the reply. I'm actually labelling polygons. How do I specify the priority and positioning of each label for each feature?

Chris
  • global_mapper
    edited April 2009
    Chris,

For polygon labeling there isn't really any support for custom positioning, the text is always displayed at the centroid of the polygon. What you could do is generate point features from all of your area with the Digitizer Tool, then turn off labeling of the polygons on the Area Styles tab of the Configuration dialog and just move your point features with the labels around to get the desired placement.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • chrise
    edited April 2009
    Hi Mike

There appears to be a bug in that some labels are rendered at the edge of a polygon instead at the centre? I can get over this by using your method above - ie digitising points in the centre of the polygon and attaching labels to those points, but then creating a google map tileset there's another problem - it misses some labels off for some reason. Can you help?

Cheers
    Chris

PS I'm using v10.02 by the way
  • global_mapper
    edited April 2009
    Chris,

Depending on the shape of your polygon sometimes the centroid where the label is placed is not even in the polygon (although it typically is). When more advanced polygon support is added for the upcoming v11 release I may revisit polygon labeling and make the default label location better.

You can make all labels always display by selecting the option to 'Always Display All Labels' on the Vector Display tab of the Configuration dialog. Then you should get all labels when you export Google Maps tiles, with the exception of those that cross the Google Maps tile boundaries.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com