Global Mapper v25.0

GeoPDF

redbeard
redbeard Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited June 2009 in Suggestion Box
I'm not sure exactly where I should post this...
I've seen this mentioned before, but what is the status of the geopdf? I use the USGS maps from their website... in an obnoxious pdf format (nice for non GIS folks). Is there a way to convert this to straight to a geotiff instead of supporting it natively? I can open a pdf and save it as a tif tile, but I lose all the georeferencing. Im not totally convinced of need for the support as The National Map: Next Generation of Topographic Maps says the 24k maps will be avail in geopdf, geotiff, ESRI shape, but I have yet to see anything other than the geopdf from their site (well, apart from WMS means).

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited April 2009
    I plan on taking a look at the GeoPDF format for the v11 release this summer. I won't be able to tell until I actually dig in whether or not it will be possible to add native support.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • redbeard
    redbeard Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited April 2009
    That's cool. Do you know of (or does anyone here?) a tool that might be able just convert the geopdfs straight to geotiffs? Even a command line tool, dos or unix? That might be the easiest way to use a geopdf.
  • global_mapper
    edited April 2009
    I don't know of any, but someone else here might.
  • Matt
    Matt Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited June 2009
    Any update on GeoPDF support?? Looks like the new USGS Quads may be released only in GeoPDF format. Bummer.

Digital USGS Quads Now Available from The National Map - Beta - All Points Blog
  • global_mapper
    edited June 2009
    I just emailed TerraGo (the company with the GeoPDF technology) last night to see if they had some sort of development kit that we could use in Global Mapper to add GeoPDF support, but so far I haven't heard anything.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com