Global Mapper v25.0

Problems with exporting dgn vectors to shp

DustyRobinson
DustyRobinson Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited March 2009 in Vector Data
I have a *.dgn file (V8) with points and lines that represent the existing ground. I need to get the data into shapefiles so I can create a *.tin file of the existing surface in ArcView. I can bring in the points ok, but the lines (vectors) are giving me problems. If I use a V8 file the lines in the shapfile have extra points/vertices created which creates an incorrect surface in ArcView. If I convert my file to V7 the elevation data is not exported into the shapefile.

Am I missing a setting in either MicroStation or GlobalMapper that would change this?

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited March 2009
    What kind of extra vertices are being created when you bring the DGN file into Global Mapper?

Also, are you aware that you can create a surface in Global Mapper from the DGN data, then export the terrain directly to a format that ArcView can use? You can do so by right-clicking on the DGN layer in the Control Center and selecting the option to generate an elevation grid.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • DustyRobinson
    DustyRobinson Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited March 2009
    Mike,

I have points, breaklines, interior boundaries, and exterior boundaries for the surface I want to make. Can GlobalMapper combine all of these features into a surface that ArcView can use? If so how?

As far as the extra points that are being added in GlobalMapper. When I select a line in MicroStation it shows each vertex on the line. I can also see where the vertices are on the line by viewing where the triangles from a surface connect to the line. After converting the lines in GlobalMapper and pulling them into ArcView, I can see additional vertices on the line because there is additional triangulation being created at points that were not there in MicroStation. Maybe this is more of an ArcView problem. What is the best way to show all of the vertices on a line in GlobalMapper?

Thanks
  • global_mapper
    edited March 2009
    Global Mapper will by default treat any line feature with associated elevation values as breaklines during grid generation from loaded vector data. There is not any additional special treatment for interior/exterior boundaries. If you just load your data, then right click on it in the Control Center and select the option to generate an elevation grid, you can export the generated grid to a format that ArcView can use (like Arc ASCII Grid or GeoTIFF with elevation) using the apprporiate File->Export Raster and Elevation Data menu command.

You can turn on area and line vertex display in Global Mapper using the Shift+V shortcut or via the option on the Vector Display tab of the Configuration dialog.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • DustyRobinson
    DustyRobinson Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited March 2009
    Mike,

I played around with the files a little more. GlobalMapper handles the triangulation just fine of the V8, V7, or shapefiles created from either. The extra vertices must come from how ArcView is reading the files. I don't know why it handles the shapefiles differently than GlobalMapper, and I don't understand the difference of the V8 and V7 problems I am running into. If I can create a *.tin in GlobalMapper as stated in my last post that would be great.
  • global_mapper
    edited March 2009
    Global Mapper does not support creating the ArcView format *.tin file. You can choose to generate a TIN layer when creating the elevation grid which basically creates a series of 3D triangles that you can then export to a vector format like Shapefile or DXF. Maybe that will be better for creating your TIN in ArcView? Or you should be able to export a gridded elevation format and load that into ArcView as a surface. I'm sure you can turn a gridded terrain data set (i.e. a DEM) into a TIN in ArcView, you just have to know the magic ArcView command to do it.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com