Global Mapper v25.0

Transparency in export to Google Maps

Syrett
Syrett Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited February 2009 in Technical Support
Is it possible to take a one-layer Photoshop tiff, georeference it, and then tile it to Google Maps such that the transparency of the background is retained? The idea here is to simulate a layer over Google Maps with only text and icons, without any background color, so that the Google basemap (or another basemap that I may put over Google's) shows through. I've tried this, but there's a white opaque background that hides the base map.
Thanks!

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited February 2009
    Yes, when you do your export to Google Maps just make sure to choose the PNG format and check the box to make the background transparent. This should make any transparent areas in Global Mapper be transparent in Google Maps as well.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Syrett
    Syrett Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited February 2009
    I did choose transparent png -- I think the problem is that when GM reads the layered tiff and georefs it, it loses its transparency. Is there some way to retain the transparency through this whole process, right from the beginning?
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited February 2009
    You do need to make sure that your data is set as transparent prior to export. To do this, open the Control Center, select a layer, press Options, then set the color to make transparent there.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Syrett
    Syrett Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited February 2009
    Yup, that worked -- I also had to set the transparency color to white (by default, it was black).
    Thanks!!