Global Mapper v25.0

Script question

Matt
Matt Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited June 2008 in Technical Support
If I want to run a script on an entire directory of files, how do I retain the file names without having a command for each file? In other words, what would I enter for the ???'s below if I just wanted to import several 100 rasters, do something to them, then export them with the same file name? Can I do that with two lines in the script? Or do I need a line for each file name?

IMPORT FILENAME="I:\_TEMP\???"
EXPORT_RASTER FILENAME="I:\_TEMP\???"

Thanks

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited June 2008
    I've actually just added directory looping support for the upcoming v10 release of Global Mapper to make things like this easier. I have a v9 build with this support that you can try. I have placed a new build of Global Mapper 9 with the change at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper9.zip . Simply download that file and extract the contents over your existing v9.xx installation to give it a try.

Here is a sample of how to do a directory loop with the new build:

GLOBAL_MAPPER_SCRIPT VERSION=1.00
    UNLOAD_ALL

// Loop over all DEM files in a folder and convert them
    DIR_LOOP_START DIRECTORY="C:\DATA\SDTS_DEM\24K\" FILENAME_MASKS="*.DEM.STDS.TAR.GZ" RECURSE_DIR=NO

// Import an archived SDTS DEM file. Global Mapper will automatically
    // determine that this is an archived SDTS DEM file and load it
    // correctly.
    IMPORT FILENAME="%FNAME_W_DIR%" ANTI_ALIAS=YES

// Generate 50 ft contours from the loaded DEM data.
    GENERATE_CONTOURS INTERVAL=50 ELEV_UNITS=FEET

// Export the contours to a new DXF file. The created file will have
    // 3D polyline features for the contours.
    EXPORT_VECTOR FILENAME="%DIR%%FNAME_WO_EXT%_CONTOURS.DXF" TYPE=DXF GEN_PRJ_FILE=YES

// Export the contours to a 3D shape file.
    EXPORT_VECTOR FILENAME="%DIR%%FNAME_WO_EXT%_CONTOURS.SHP" TYPE=SHAPEFILE \
    SHAPE_TYPE=LINES GEN_3D_LINES=YES GEN_PRJ_FILE=YES

// End the loop
    DIR_LOOP_END

Here is the documentation for the DIR_LOOP_START command:

The DIR_LOOP_START command begins a loop of commands over all of the folders within a directory (and optionally its subdirectories) that match one or more filename masks. This is a powerful feature allowing you to do things like easily batch convert a collection of files or perform any other supported operation over a collection of files. You end a loop over the files in a folder using the DIR_LOOP_END command. Note that it is also possible to nest loops.

For any commands found within a DIR_LOOP_START...DIR_LOOP end pair defining a loop, the following special character sequences can be used anywhere (examples of what the values will be based on a current filename of 'C:\data\my_file.dem' are listed):

%DIR% - full path to current file (value is 'C:\data\')
    %FNAME_W_DIR% - full path and filename of current file (value is 'C:\data\my_file.dem')
    %FNAME% - filename of current file (value is 'my_file.dem')
    %FNAME_WO_EXT% - filename of current file without extension (value is 'my_file')
    For a sample of the DIR_LOOP_START command in use, see the example at the bottom of this reference.

The following parameters are used by the DIR_LOOP_START command.

DIRECTORY - specifies the directory to search for files in. If you leave this blank, the operation will be based in the current folder.
    FILENAME_MASKS - space-separated list of filename masks to import. If no value is provided then all files will be used.
    RECURSE_DIR - specifies whether the loop operation will search subdirectories of the specified directory as well as the current one. Use RECURSE_DIR=YES to enable. The default value is to NOT search subdirectories

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Matt
    Matt Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited June 2008
    Awesome, thanks. I'll give that a try.

Matt