Uploading LAS or LAZ?

I am fairly new to Global Mapper and had success with it in the past. 
My business uses drones to map out an area for a prestigious lumber mill. One of the things we do is create a 3D model of the area as a product.
The problem is that when I load the data into Global Mapper (also which is better, LAS or LAZ?) the model seems to be stretched out on the Z axis. So the trees appear a lot taller than they should.
In the past this was not a problem. I'm not sure if perhaps I am uploading it improperly or something happened with the processing portion of the workflow.

If anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated!

Best Answer

• notoriousbn3notoriousbn3 Posts: 6
    Answer ✓
    Do you have your Vertical exaggeration turned set low to 1.0? That would create less stretching of your data.

Answers

• I've only used LAS and it seems to work very well, even open LAS version 1.4. Not sure about LAZ though.
  • Do you have your Vertical exaggeration turned set low to 1.0? That would create less stretching of your data.
    This definitely worked! However, I'm still having a problem in the 2D view.
    I simply want to display the basics, such as height above ground, the point cloud in the 2D view looks stretched on the X-axis.

Not sure why it wouldn't just be displayed normally when I import the data into Global Mapper. In PhotoScan it looks normal.
  • I can only think that for stretching in 2D, that the projection in your Configuration is not what you currently want. Perhaps if it was different, you would not notice 2D stretching?

Also, I notice they also have a new image to point cloud tool in their latest version that could be useful for your business.