Global Mapper v25.0

Extract world files

GeoBuck
GeoBuck Global Mapper User
edited May 2008 in Suggestion Box
Hi Mike,
It would be nice if Global Mapper had the ability to write out the world file from GeoImages. I have a tool that will do it for GeoTIFFs but not for the newer types of image files such as JPEG2000. I have some large GeoJPEG2000 images and it takes quite a bit of time to export a new file with the world file and creates a new image when the original will do. If GM could just export out the world file, that would be much quicker and then I would be able to take the image into PhotoShop and make edits without the worry of losing my geo-referencing information.

Thanks,
Buck

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited April 2008
    Buck,

Actually you can already do this in the v9.02 release. To do so, simply load the file, then open the Control Center, right click on the file and select the Reposition option, then use the File menu command on the rectification dialog that appears to save out a world file based on the control points for the file.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • fsdreamscapes
    fsdreamscapes Global Mapper User
    edited May 2008
    Mike, is there any way that version 9 can do the reverse?

I have a lot of imagery that I manipulate in Adobe Photoshop to add water masks in an alpha channel and plugging back in the geotiff tags would really help a lot rather than having to re-render...

Aloha,
    Dean M
    FS Dreamscapes
  • global_mapper
    edited May 2008
    Dean,

While there is not any way to plug GeoTIFF parameters back in using Global Mapper other than doing a full GeoTIFF export, you can use the free GeoTIFFExaminer software from GeoTiffExaminer to plug world file parameters back into a TIFF file.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • fsdreamscapes
    edited May 2008
    Hi Mike,

The problem with that is when you're working with 5000+ files it would take months to do by hand, is there any way global mapper could support such a function in a future version?

Storage space is at a premium so being able to plug it back into the geotiff after the photoshop work would save time and $$$ especially when working with high resolution imagery for an entire state's worth of data...
  • global_mapper
    edited May 2008
    It is something that I consider for a future release. You sound like you might have some programming experience, so you could try using open source C library libgeotiff yourself in a small application to plug that information. It is also possible that GeoTIFF Examiner might have a command line mode or something that does this.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • fsdreamscapes
    edited May 2008
    I don't have programming experience as such lol but I do have someone who can code for me and I've been on the MSFT Flight Simulator X beta team the last couple of years... That might be a good option...