create voronoi diagrams for separate polygons?

JSLJSL Global Mapper UserPosts: 359Trusted User
I have a set of about 100 polygons, and one layer of points contained within the polygons, and I'd like to create an individual voronoi diagram for each polygon of the points that it contains.  I tried using "Crop to selected area" in the voronoi bounds parameter, but GM creates one voronoi diagram spaced across all the polygons, regardless of whether or not the polygons are adjacent to each other. You can see in the sample polygons in the figure, where I've colored the voronoi polygons by the name of the point, that the diagram has been created across what is about 280km of separation. Is there any way to change that, besides separating out the point layer by polygon, and then creating a voronoi diagram for each polygon individually?  With 100 polygons, that's gong to take a lot of time.

Best Answer

• bmg_bobbmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer Posts: 1,678
    Answer ✓
    JSL said:
    Is there perhaps a way to write a script to perform a voronoi analysis on one layer at a time, and then move to the next layer?  I couldn't find any scripting for Voronoi in the Help documentation.
    JSL said:
    I have a set of about 100 polygons, and one layer of points contained within the polygons, and I'd like to create an individual voronoi diagram for each polygon of the points that it contains.  
    Neither of these functions is available in Global Mapper 18.  I have added feature request #21034 so we can evaluate whether or not to add the ability to create voronoi diagrams from the points in a selected area to a future version of Global Mapper.  We will post a message on this thread when the status of the request changes.

Cheers,
    Bob

Answers

• JSLJSL Global Mapper User Posts: 359Trusted User
    Is there perhaps a way to write a script to perform a voronoi analysis on one layer at a time, and then move to the next layer?  I couldn't find any scripting for Voronoi in the Help documentation.