Global Mapper v25.0

arrow keys for scrolling

yianni
yianni Global Mapper UserTrusted User
Hi

just upgraded to v18 and the arrow keys do not seem to work with scrolling the map but the expand and shrink the control centre layers.

Is there a way to toggle this on and off?

thanks

y

Answers

• JeffH@BMG
    JeffH@BMG Global Mapper Developer Trusted User
    Hi yianni,

When you say "expand and shrink the control centre layers", does that mean that the map is zooming in and out?

In a recent build (18.0.4, from 3 days ago), I see the arrow keys (left, right, up, down) panning the map correctly. Also, the PageUp/PageDown keys zoom in and zoom out respectively. I don't see any recent changes to that part of the code base. Not sure what your problem might be; are you running some kind of keyboard enhancement program?

Best regards,

~Jeff
  • bmg_bob
    bmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer
    Answer ✓
    Hello,

While I was looking at your problem, I determined that once you click on the Control Center, the arrow keys start being handled by the Control Center.  Clicking on the main view should cause the keys to act on the main view again, but this is not happening.  You can restore the state where the keys will scroll the main view by clicking on another application, then clicking back on Global Mapper.  Not a great workaround, but will at least let you use the arrow keys as you expect until this bug gets fixed.

I have opened Item #20168 in our task list.  We will post a message on this thread when the status of this item changes.

Cheers,
    Bob
  • yianni
    yianni Global Mapper User Trusted User
    Hey Bob

yes that's my issue. Sometimes I click on the window and it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Also while we are at it, I have noticed that some of the shortcut keys that I have already set up do not always work.

I.e. I have F4 to be View Window Location in GE and sometimes I press it and it works and sometimes it doesn't even after I click on the main map window.

To me it feels that the problems are of the same nature and could be relevant.

btw I am running today's built.

Thanks
  • yianni
    yianni Global Mapper User Trusted User
    hi all

just to make your life a little easier, the issue seems to surface when the control centre is clipped to any of the sides of the GM window. If i take he control centre window away from the main GM screen there is no mix up with the short keys. 

In a sense GM fails to differentiate between the two when they are merged together and it seems to have a preference towards the control centre.

hope it helps!
    yianni