How to remove extra "noise" from LiDAR?

SwoodySwoody Global Mapper UserPosts: 97Trusted User
I've got all extra stuff (noise?) in the sky of my LiDAR file.  Any suggestions of how to remove it / clean it up?? 

Also, never really sure the best place to put LIDAR questions, since there is not a specific topic for them. I guess Vector data works??

Thanks!! 
Sara

Tagged:

Answers

• bmg_bobbmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer Posts: 1,686
    Hello Sara,

Have you tried the Auto-classify Noise Points function on the Lidar toolbar?

Cheers,

Bob
  • SwoodySwoody Global Mapper User Posts: 97Trusted User
    Thanks Bob. I have never tried it before. Thus far Auto-classify Noise Points crashes my PC every time, which is a pretty powerful beast. Even tried it in small sections, but no luck. Most times it just crashes, but one time got this message: "Runtime Error! R6025 - pure virtual function call"  Aargh. 

I am using the latest build of 17.1  (April 19 build)
  • bmg_bobbmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer Posts: 1,686
    Swoody said:
    Thanks Bob. I have never tried it before. Thus far Auto-classify Noise Points crashes my PC every time, which is a pretty powerful beast. Even tried it in small sections, but no luck. Most times it just crashes, but one time got this message: "Runtime Error! R6025 - pure virtual function call"  Aargh. 

Have you reported this to Blue Marble Geographics Support (geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com)?

Cheers,

Bob
    Going to do more testing, then report. It may not just be able to handle the size of the file. I'm able to get a smaller file to not crash. Thanks Bob!
    edited May 2016
    I am again attempting to remove noise from my LiDAR cloud using the auto-noise feature. No more crashing, but just not getting good results. It will remove some, but I cannot find a good way to remove all this random noise in the sky. Any suggestions?  What I really wish was available...was a way to view in 3D, select the points /noise which is easily identifiable there, then delete. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
  • I'm having the same issues.  I've used other programs that seem to have a lot more control over noise removal but I was hoping Global Mapper would be the solution.  @Swoody did you find and resolutions?  
    @SeicloneJosh, unfortunately I did not find a solution!  Apologies, only now saw your posting!
  • mudfootmudfoot Global Mapper User Posts: 3
    Perhaps use the profile tool?
  • NatsNats Posts: 16
    Using profile tool u have to take lot's of cross sections for classifying the Noise. 
  • X1aeroX1aero Posts: 2
    Any update on noise removal?  I get noise at my trajectory from my uav lidar system.  On flat terrain it's easy to clean up.  But in mountainous terrain it's a lot harder.  Even if auto noise never worked, it would be awesome the be able to select noise points in a 3D perspective and assign from there.  That goes for any re classification.