Global Mapper v25.0

2d to 3d vector data conversion

I would like to create 3d vector data by draping 2d vector data onto a DEM and assigning z values to existing and, if neccessary, additional verticies to best reflect the profile. Is it possible to do this with GM?

Answers

• I would also like to know how to do this in GM. I commonly make a Vulcan 3-D triangulation from the DEM (such as SRTM data), export the triangulation from GM as .00t file (native Vulcan format), then in Vulcan I register the vector data on the DTM I made in GM. I'd really like to just drape the 2d vector data on the DEM in GM.  Another bothersome thing is that the Vulcan .00t format for export has never been upgraded past the Vulcan v7.5 version. There was a fundamental change in triangulation format at v.8 and we're now going into v.10 of Vulcan 3-D. This important export format is not being maintained well. Fortunately newer versions of Vulcan can import the ancient v7x triangulation format.
  • bmg_bob
    bmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer
    gdaneel said:
    I would like to create 3d vector data by draping 2d vector data onto a DEM and assigning z values to existing and, if neccessary, additional verticies to best reflect the profile. Is it possible to do this with GM?
    You can create 3D vector data as follows:
    1. Select the features that you want to make 3D.
    2. Right-click and choose Analysis/Measurement | Apply Elevations from Terrain Layer(s) to Selected Feature(s)
    Cheers,

Bob
  • bmg_bob
    bmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer

PQW said:
    Another bothersome thing is that the Vulcan .00t format for export has never been upgraded past the Vulcan v7.5 version. There was a fundamental change in triangulation format at v.8 and we're now going into v.10 of Vulcan 3-D. This important export format is not being maintained well. Fortunately newer versions of Vulcan can import the ancient v7x triangulation format.
    We have an open feature request to update our Vulcan .00t export to v8 and beyond.  I have added your information to that feature request, and we will post a message on this thread when the status of the request changes.

Cheers,

Bob 
  • JeffH@BMG
    JeffH@BMG Global Mapper Developer Trusted User
    Re: Generating elevations:
    * Load your vectors
    * Load your DEM
    * Select the vector features that you want to generate elevations for
    * RIght click, select Analysis/Measurement, then Apply Elevations from Terrain to Selected Features(s)

This will add elevation values to the vertices of selected features, based on the terrain.

Re: Newer Vulcan Format: There's an existing ticket for this functionality (item #13384). We'll notify you here in this post when we've added updated support.

~Jeff
  • JeffH@BMG
    JeffH@BMG Global Mapper Developer Trusted User
    Aha, Bob beat me to it. Thanks, Bob!
  • bmg_mike
    bmg_mike Global Mapper Guru Moderator, Trusted User
    Regarding the Vulcan .00t format, with the release of Vulcan v8 the .00t format was switched to a proprietary binary format from a simple text format, making it nearly impossible to support without information from Vulcan. If and when Vulcan releases information on their new format we should be able to drop in support easily, but until then we are stuck with the old text-based format.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/
  • Thanks very much for your respective inputs. I understand that the z value of the vertically coincident DEM point will be assigned to each of the existing vertices. Is there some way to make new points along the vector file and more specifically, where it crosses traingle boundaries representing the DEM? In this way, the vector will be visible on the surface along its entire trace and not extend above or beneath should the vertices be too far apart etc. I know that Surpac for example has this capability.
  • bmg_mike
    bmg_mike Global Mapper Guru Moderator, Trusted User
    Answer ✓
    What you can do is select all of your triangles (assuming you have a TIN of the DEM) and crossing lines using the Digitizer Tool, then right-click and under the Vertex Editing submenu select to Insert Vertices and/or Split at Intersections. On the next dialog just select to insert vertices, then you should end up with new vertices added to the lines everywhere they intersect an edge of a triangle. You can then assign elevations from the DEM to get lines that exactly follow the surface.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/