Global Mapper v25.0

Township boundaries, shp to kmz, no labels

charlie3
charlie3 Global Mapper User
edited March 2008 in Vector Data
First post,

I have township and section shp files downloaded from the state of michigan I'd like to display on google earth. The boundary lines and labels appear in global mapper and export to kmz. The boundaries appear in Google Earth but not the labels. Is there a fix?

Great program, thanks for any assistance.

Charlie

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited March 2008
    Charlie,

Google Earth currently only displays labels for point placemarks and not area or line placemarks. You currently have to Ctrl+Left Click in Google Earth to get additional information about a particular area or line feature.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • charlie3
    charlie3 Global Mapper User
    edited March 2008
    I went back and found there was a shp file of section line center points. I got those configured and exported to kmz with the section lines then found each of the points had one of those giant thumbtacks. Google Earth properties for the kmz file allowed me to make those transparant. It's not a perfect solution because Google likes to fade the labels in and out at random but it's good enough for government work. Thanks again
  • Matt
    Matt Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited March 2008
    Shape2Earth ($30) is another alternative. It's got several advanced features for exporting vector data to KML. Including the ability to add placemark at area centroids.

Shape2Earth

Matt