Global Mapper v25.0

Swap y and z in .las file

Hello, I need to upload a .las file that apparently has swapped y and z coordinates. In the dialog I don't find the possibility swap them back as i can do with .obj file, for example. Is there any other possibility?

Answers

• bmg_bob
    bmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer
    Hi,

It is not normal for LAS files to have swapped axes, and Global Mapper does not have a way to handle that case.  Where did you get the data?  Can you go back to the source to see if it an be corrected?  I have heard of software that can produce data like that due to user error.

Cheers,

Bob
  • Hello Bob,

Actually you're right there was an error but it was on my side. Infact the data were produced in ECEF coordinate system ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ECEF ) and I was trying to upload them in UTM which causes the error. But finally GM doesn't handle the ECEF coordinate system, does it?

Thanks,
    Riccardo

• bmg_bob
    bmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer
    Hello,

Global Mapper doesn't support ECEF projections.  Our other product, Geographic Calculator, does handle them.  You can use Geographic Calculator to reproject your LAS file in ECEF to a LAS file in UTM, then load the UTM LAS file into Global Mapper.

Cheers,

Bob