Global Mapper v25.0

Default KML Viewer - Change

yianni
yianni Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited October 2015 in Technical Support
Hi,

does anyone know how to define the default KML viewer in Global Mapper? I got ArcExplorer and it has hijacked the option in Global Mapper (very annoying) so now when I ask to view window location in Google Earth the response that I get from GM is "Unable to Load Data in default KML viewer" (I have removed ArcExplorer since). 

I have been looking around the software to try and change it back to Google Earth but I haven't found anything. I wonder whether that could be an option, to defined KML viewer in GM in later versions..

I have GM 16.2.7 64 bit

Any ideas, let me know... (I hope ESRI didn't brake my global mapper...)

Thanks

Yianni

Answers

• bmg_bob
    bmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer
    Answer ✓
    Using Windows 7, here is what you can do (other versions of Windows should be similar, I presume).  

Find a KML file using Windows Explorer.  Right-click on the file.  The menu should contain an item called "Open With".  When you hover over that menu, you should get a sub-menu that includes the option "Choose Default Program...".  Click on that menu item.  There is a good chance that it will already include Google Earth on the dialog.  If it does not, you will need to browse to the location where Google Earth is installed.

You may need to do the same thing for KMZ files.
  • yianni
    yianni Global Mapper User Trusted User
    I remember doing that with KML files while I had arcexplorer before kicking it out (it would mess up with my system resolution as well)

However now that you mention it I might not have done it for KMZs as well...

Y

• yianni
    yianni Global Mapper User Trusted User
    Yes thanks I hadn't done it for both.