Global Mapper v25.0

Use LiDAR module to "upscale" RGB colors?

Swoody
Swoody Global Mapper UserTrusted User
Is there any way to use Global Mapper’s LiDAR module to “upscale” RGB colors to a range of 0-65536?
To clarify, I am attempting to view my LiDAR files with an online LiDAR viewer (potree.org), and in order to do so, it says: “PotreeConvert expects rgb colors in LAS or LAZ files in a range of 0-65536. If you have colors in a 0-255 range, you will have to upscale them before conversion.”

I see options for color filtering during export, but cannot figure out how to specify such specific numbers.  Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Sara

Answers

• bmg_bob
    bmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer
    Have you tried loading your data into Global Mapper, then exporting it as a LAS file?  Global Mapper will save the RGB values as 16-bit values (0-65536).
  • Swoody
    Swoody Global Mapper User Trusted User
    Hi Bob,

That was my first step (exporting as LAS). So my files are already 16-bit values (0-65536) by default then, when exported? Or is there somewhere in the export where I have to specify that?

Many thanks!  Sara
  • bmg_bob
    Answer ✓
    What version of Global Mapper are you using?  In v17, the Export Options screen has a new check box, "Save Color Value for Each Point from Points or Rasters" that needs to be checked.
  • Swoody
    I am on v17. So all I need to do is check that box and I am good to go?   THANK YOU, Bob!!
  • Swoody
    edited October 2015
    Hi Bob, We are still having trouble getting the online LiDAR viewer to work, and one variable we have discovered (which may or may not be our issue) is that our LiDAR is listed as INT-8, and LiDAR datasets that translate well are listed as RGB-8. Is this something I can do via Global Mapper?  I should probably mention that my experience with LiDAR is very limited, so apologies if this is an elementary questions. Many thanks in advance. 

• bmg_bob
    LiDAR formats are not my strongest area, and I don't know anything about potree.org, so I don't have an answer for that question.  Does potree.org have any kind of support available?

I recommend that you make sure you are using the latest released version of Global Mapper 17 (we released 17.0.2 a couple of days ago, and that has some major upgrades to the LiDAR processing.)  Then please send a description of your workflow, a copy of your data (if possible), and the results to Blue Marble Geographics Support (geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com). This will ensure that the support team will be notified of the problem and can work on a solution.  It would probably be good to include any detailed information you have about potree.org and what kind of requirements they have.
  • Swoody
    Hi Bob, I am on the latest build of v17, so good to go there. Have sent my question to a knowledgeable LiDAR friend...hopefully he can give me some guidance.  Potree.org does not have a forum or support system  quite unfortunately. thanks again

• Swoody
    I think I might need to have imagery present, then "apply color to lidar points" to make RGB.  (??)