Global Mapper v25.0

3D function difficulties with trial GM version 16.1

brucec1
brucec1 Global Mapper User
Hello,
I am currently running GM version 13.1 and use the 3D mode for basic
visual simulations and analysis of development changes in the landscape.
This version is ok and work fine but it is limited in representing
buildings an objects. For example if you use the 3D vector display,
objects are displayed with horizontal surfaces parallel to the
ground surface and not horizontal.
For this reason I am trialling GM version 16 to see if the 3D functions
have been updated somewhat. However I really cannot gauge this new
version as the 3D function does not function effectively. I am getting
major delays in rendering the ground surface of the landscape and so
it would certainly be useless for me to change to the new version if this problem
cannot be overcome.
Clearly this could be this operators incompetence but maybe the software
now requires much higher RAM or speed than what I currently have. What should I do to
be able to resolve this issue.
Any help would be greatly received.

Bruce

Comments

• JeffH@BMG
    JeffH@BMG Global Mapper Developer Trusted User
    edited April 2015
    Hello Bruce,

Usually the first thing that we try to determine when encountering 3D problems is what your OpenGL environment is. I'd recommend downloading a utility like GPU Caps Viewer and running it, and reporting the OpenGL driver information; if you are running the generic Windows driver, you should update, if that's possible.

Also, if you have the skybox enabled, you should try turning it off: on the right-hand side of the 3D toolbar, in the dropdown, select "None (Solid Background").

One other thing that can help: disable the 2D/3D view linkage: on the 2D view, in the Shader toolbar, to the right of the 3D view button, there is a button to enable/disable 2D/3D view linkage. Disabling the linkage between the views can cut down on unnecessary refreshes of the 3D view.

But start with finding out your OpenGL driver situation, and we can go from there.

best regards,

~Jeff
  • brucec1
    edited April 2015
    Brucec1 GPU Caps Viewer output.jpg
    Hello Jeff,
    What does the t GPU Caps Viewer output tell you about my problem?
    I have unchecked the other items and have had an improvement with the 3D viewer operation. That is it works sometimes for a few seconds and then locks up again. I even had a short session of walking though the landscape at 2m height - then it stopped responding. Usually shifting the map in the 2D viewer gives a boost and the 3D frees up again.
    As far as the generic Windows driver goes, this should be up to date as I thought the auto updates from the Web would take care of it?
    Cheers
    Bruce
  • JeffH@BMG
    JeffH@BMG Global Mapper Developer Trusted User
    edited April 2015
    Hi Bruce,

Thanks. The generic Windows driver (which I'm happy to report that you're not using; you'd see it in the OpenGL string on the GPU tab) is a very basic OpenGL 1.1 implementation, and some operations that we use don't work very well on that. Typically, most systems nowadays would use a specific OpenGL implementation that's produced by your graphics card vendor. And also, typically, those aren't updated automatically via Windows update.

Anyways, I don't see anything obvious in the results; your RAM is a little lower than I'd like to see, but that should be fatal. A lot depends on what you're trying to do, how much data you're dealing with, and what type it is.

I'm a little surprised that "shifting the map in the 2D viewer" has any effect on things in the 3D viewer if you have 2D/3D linkage turned off. Not sure how that would affect performance of the 3D viewer. If you're experiencing stalls when just mousing/keyboarding around, it may be related to mouse hover activity (we try to report on bjects directly under the mouse, as in the 2D view); you might try toggling that off using Ctrl+H.

best regards,

~Jeff
  • brucec1
    edited April 2015
    Hello Jeff,
    Just to clarify, should I be searching up an updated my Windows driver with a specific OpenGL one produced by my graphics card vendor?
    Also would it be worthwhile to increase my RAM by inserting a new or additional card?
    In the meantime I will try toggling off the mouse hover? using Ctrl+H.
    I am still at a loss but will keep trying.
    Thanks
    Bruce

Hello Jeff,
    brucec1 wrote: »
    Brucec1 GPU Caps Viewer output.jpg
    What does the t GPU Caps Viewer output tell you about my problem?
    I have unchecked the other items and have had an improvement with the 3D viewer operation. That is it works sometimes for a few seconds and then locks up again. I even had a short session of walking though the landscape at 2m height - then it stopped responding. Usually shifting the map in the 2D viewer gives a boost and the 3D frees up again.
    As far as the generic Windows driver goes, this should be up to date as I thought the auto updates from the Web would take care of it?
    Cheers
    Bruce