Global Mapper v25.0

Dissolve Polygon

Gavin
Gavin Global Mapper User
edited March 2015 in Vector Data
Is there a method to dissolve multiple polygons into a single polygon.
I am looking for something that will give me just the outline of my various polygons in a single layer.
Preferably via scripting, as I have many many files.

Thanks
Gavin

Comments

• bmg_bob
    bmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer
    edited March 2015
    Hello Gavin,

Have you tried creating a coverage area? This can be done in a script as part of the EDIT_VECTOR command, with the following related parameters:

CREATE_COVERAGE_AREAS - specifies that a new layer with coverage areas for all matching features should be created. Use CREATE_COVERAGE_AREAS=YES to enable.

COVERAGE_SMOOTHING_FACTOR - specifies a smoothing factor to use when creating the coverage areas to control how tightly shrink-wrapped around the vector features the area is. The default value is 1.0, but any value greater than 0 is allowed, with larger values resulting in more smoothing.

Cheers,

Bob
  • Gavin
    Gavin Global Mapper User
    edited March 2015
    Hi Bob
    I did look at that, but it does not work for me.
    here is a good article on what Dissolve should do.
    Dissolve - GIS Wiki | The GIS Encyclopedia

the free library mapwingis allows me to perform this but it means running a second script on my data after GM is done its work.
    It would be nice to be able to process these commands all in the same script.
    thanks
    Gavin
  • bmg_bob
    bmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer
    edited March 2015
    Hi Gavin,

That functionality is available in the UI:

1) Activate the Digitizer
    2) Select the features that you want to combine
    3) Right-click and select the Crop/Combine/Split Functions->COMBINE - Combine Selected Area Features

This is not available via scripting at the moment. There is a feature request (#14891) on our task list to add this. I will add your name to the feature request, and we will post to this thread when the functionality has been implemented.

Cheers,

Bob