Global Mapper v25.0

No 3d shading/lighting

Ice Age Mark
Ice Age Mark Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited February 2015 in Vector Data
Howdy,

In the latest build (Global Mapper v16.1.0 (b011915) [64-bit] - REGISTERED) the lighting/shading seems to be gone from the 3D view, making extruded features have missing edges.

There's no going back now, so thanks for a quick fix.

Mark

Comments

• PShorey
    PShorey Global Mapper Developer Moderator, Trusted User
    edited January 2015
    Mark,

Are you referring to the bottom edges of the extruded features? If so, right click on the 3D Viewer and check "Reflect 3D Features on Terrain". This option is also accessible from the properties dialog as "Draw 3D Vector Features Reflected on Terrain Surface".

Peter
  • Ice Age Mark
    Ice Age Mark Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited January 2015
    Hello,

No, I don't mean that. I mean that the shading/lighting that gives an extruded feature it's 3D appearance is absent. Notice in the two attachments, the first from V15.2 and the second from V16.1, that the buildings no longer appear to have roofs, and the square "duct" shape of the linear features is absent.

Mark
  • JeffH@BMG
    JeffH@BMG Global Mapper Developer Trusted User
    edited January 2015
    Hi Mark,

Thanks for pointing this out. I've opened bug #15190 for the problem, and hopefully we'll address it before release. In any case, we'll kick back here and let you know when it's been fixed.

~Jeff
  • Ice Age Mark
    edited February 2015
    Howdy folks,

This didn't get fixed in the new release. Since the 16.1 beta release (3 weeks ago) I've gone without this most basic function of the 3D viewer. It's what makes 3D vector features appear "3D". I've paid for V16 but am having to use V15 to have a function that has existed since the beginning of 3D viewing. Hard to believe no one noticed this.

Thanks,

Mark
  • JeffH@BMG
    edited February 2015
    Hi Mark,

You're right, and sorry about that. We knew about it, but it didn't make the deadline for release, so it's on my short-term list of fixes to make for a patch. It's close, but the surface normals for the extruded surfaces aren't always correct (you get the shading on the inside of some of them, not so great), so that bears some investigation before releasing the feature. Again, we'll notify back here once we have a fix for this.

best regards,

~Jeff
  • JeffH@BMG
    edited February 2015
    Hi again, Mark,

OK, the latest build that has fixes for extruded polygon shading is available:

32-bit: http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/downloa...l_mapper16.zip
    64-bit: http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/downloa...er16_64bit.zip

Simply download the .zip file for the build that you are using and extract over your existing installation files. The likely locations to extract to are as follows:

32-bit: C:\Program Files (x86)\GlobalMapper16
    64-bit: C:\Program Files\GlobalMapper16_64bit

Best regards,

~Jeff
  • Ice Age Mark
    edited February 2015
    Thanks Jeff,

It's working correctly again now.

Mark