Global Mapper 16.1 beta now available!

samknightsamknight BMG StaffPosts: 79
edited February 2015 in Announcement and News
Hello Global Mapper users! Today we are posting the beta release of Global Mapper 16.1. There are a number of significant new features in this release, below is an excerpt from the What's New document:

• Sped up online sources by downloading data in the background. The display and export of online sources is now several times faster in many cases. You can also immediately cancel the drawing of any online source by pressing Escape without having to wait for the server to respond.
  • Added ability to select features in the 3D viewer. This is a new mode initiated by selecting the selection tool on the 3D viewer toolbar. Any selections are shared by both the 2D and 3D viewer, and the right-click menu allows you to perform operations on the selection.
  • Added Measure Mode to the 3D viewer. This is a new mode initiated by selecting the Measure tool on the 3D viewer toolbar. Measurements are shared by both the 2D and 3D viewer, and the right-click menu allows you to perform operations on the selection.
  • Added option to rotate the map view under the View menu. The new menu command allows you to easily rotate the map view to whatever angle you want. You can also use Backspace to rotate the view counter-clockwise.
  • Added option to automatically rotate the map in whatever direction a connected GPS device is pointing. This new option under the menu allows you to use ‘track up’ mode when connected to a GPS so that forward is always to the top of your display.
  • Updated the Control Center CALC ATTR dialog (Attribute Calculation Setup) with the ability to calculate new attribute values using spreadsheet-like formulas. The new attribute formulas allow numeric, Boolean and string operations, using standard mathematical notation and predefined functions, which include sophisticated text match, search and replace operations using regular expressions. The new formula language is used in the associated new CALC_ATTR_FORMULA script command, and also in the DEFINE_VAR script command (See Scripting Changes below).
  • Improved exports using image-optimized palettes for data with more than 256 colors but large areas with the same color.

There are of course many more new features and I'm not going to list them all here. You can see the full list in the What's New document that will display after installation. This beta version will key off of your existing version 16 license or an evaluation license if you are not currently a user, so no need for a special license.

To download:
32 bit installation: http://data.bluemarblegeo.com/downloads/global-mapper/GM_16.1_32_Bit_BETA.exe

64 bit installation:
http://data.bluemarblegeo.com/downloads/global-mapper/GM_16.1_64_Bit_BETA.exe

This is a beta version and as such we do expect to find some issues. If you run into anything with this build, please let us know at: beta@bluemarblegeo.com

We hope you enjoy the new features!

Regards,
Sam Knight
Director of Product Management
Blue Marble Geographics

Comments

• falqnfalqn Global Mapper User Posts: 122Trusted User
    edited January 2015
    Hi,
    Where can we find the Scripting Changes (ex description of CALC_ATTR_FORMULA command)? I see that http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/knowledgebase/global-mapper/ScriptReference.html has not been updated yet.
    Regards
    Wojtek
  • JeffH@BMGJeffH@BMG Global Mapper Developer Posts: 267Trusted User
    edited January 2015
    Hi Wojtek,

Until we update the online scripting reference, I posted the relevant stuff from the 16.1 scripting reference into the thread we had discussing this: http://www.globalmapperforum.com/forums/suggestion-box/12134-attribute-split-option-scripting-language.html. If you have questions about the new feature, feel free to ask them there. I'm going to have limited ability to reply for a bit, but that material should get you started. You can experiment interactively with the CALC_ATTR dialog too, which is handy, particularly when trying to figure out regular expression related functions.

Best regards,

~Jeff
  • samknightsamknight BMG Staff Posts: 79
    edited January 2015
    Hi Wojtek,
    We went ahead and posted the draft of the updated script reference document. For now this is not on the main site since the full release is not out, we will update the main page when the release is official.

Top of beta script reference document: Global Mapper Scripting Reference
    CALC ATTR section: Global Mapper Scripting Reference

Regards,
    Sam Knight
    Director of Product Management
    Blue Marble Geographics
  • energyenergy Global Mapper User Posts: 383Trusted User
    edited January 2015
    Hi
    even though we have different expectations however They are good adding waiting for...
  • JSLJSL Global Mapper User Posts: 366Trusted User
    edited January 2015
    One thing I noticed with this version is that when I generate a profile, I don't see a moving cross on the map view like I used to when I move the cursor across the profile. In other words, I can't tell on the map view where my cursor is in the profile. Don't know if it's this version, or if I"m doing something wrong.
    edited January 2015
    I've been testing out other profiles, and I find sometimes I see the moving cursor and sometimes I don't.
    edited January 2015
    I'm trying to use the use the Simple Calculation portion of the CALC ATTR command, but I'm not getting the option to calculate ("calculate" is greyed out in the red circle):

russ cap.png

I've attached the workspace I was using. I was trying to copy "ENCLOSED AREA" to "ALBERS AREA."

Thanks for any help.
    edited January 2015
    I got the Calculate button to ungrey for "Use Simple Calculation" by clicking on "Use Formula Calculation" and then reclicking on "Use Simple Calculation." I couldn't get the Calculate button to ungrey for any click combination or configuration of the "Use Formula Calculation," though.
  • bmg_mikebmg_mike Global Mapper Guru Posts: 173Trusted User
    edited January 2015
    I took a look at the cursor issue on the map when moving over the path profile and while I couldn't reproduce it, I did change how it was done to prevent some possible issues when multiple profiles are shown. Note you have to have the cursor over the region of the dialog where the profile is shown and the dialog has to be active.

I also fixed the issue with the 'Calculate' button not being available for the 'Use Simple Calculation' option on the new attribute calculation dialog.

I have placed new builds with the latest changes at the links below:

32-bit: http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/downloads/global-mapper/global_mapper16.zip
    64-bit: http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/downloads/global-mapper/global_mapper16_64bit.zip

Simply download the .zip file for the build that you are using and extract over your existing installation files. The likely locations to extract to are as follows:

32-bit: C:\Program Files (x86)\GlobalMapper16
    64-bit: C:\Program Files\GlobalMapper16_64bit

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
    edited January 2015
    Thanks for this, Mike. Are there going to be any seminars on ways to use the new Calc Attr functions?
    edited January 2015
    Yes, the Global Mapper webinar next month will cover what is new in v16.1, which should include this functionality.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
    edited January 2015
    I'm noticing that the view rotation will randomly change on me when I zoom in or out, and I have to manually set it back to 0 degrees rotation.
    edited January 2015
    Are you perhaps hitting the backspace key at any time? That is a shortcut to rotate the view a bit counterclockwise (you can keep hitting it to go all the way around). So if you hit that on accident you would get rotation.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    edited January 2015
    I often use CTRL+Backspace to revert to a former view--could GM be mixing up those two commands? Is there any way to set it so GM recognizes that CTRL before a backspace does not mean rotate the view?
    edited January 2015
    Oops looks like we used the same workspace for 2 commands. We will fix that ASAP and use something else for rotation.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
  • bmg_bobbmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer Posts: 1,682
    edited January 2015
    Hello JSL,

Instead of setting up permanent hot keys for the rotation, we have added two new functions, "Rotate View Clockwise" and "Rotate View Counterclockwise" to the Favorites list. You can set up hot keys of your own choosing for those functions.

This functionality will be available in the Global Mapper 16.1 release, coming soon.

Cheers,

Bob
  • energyenergy Global Mapper User Posts: 383Trusted User
    edited January 2015
    Hello, can we see pie map, multi-line graph map, bar map etc. in GM 16.1?
  • bmg_bobbmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer Posts: 1,682
    edited January 2015
    That work is on our task list, but has not been scheduled yet.

Cheers,

Bob
  • kentmankentman Global Mapper User Posts: 149Trusted User
    edited February 2015
    Hello Bob,

Just downloaded 16.1 and have hit a couple of issues:

When a DTM is loaded the selection of objects in the 3D window doesn't happen but if I remove the DTM from the main window I can then select in the 3D window

There seems to be a redraw lag now where I get the rotating cursor - it's not a long lag but noticeable against the previous version (v16) - I wonder of this is the new 'behind the scenes' redrawing?

Pausing a fly-through results in a massive acceleration on resuming - I presume this is because it has to catch up with some internal clock reference?

Other than that - another great release.

Kent
  • PShoreyPShorey Global Mapper Developer Posts: 175Moderator, Trusted User
    edited February 2015
    Kentman,

Thank you for pointing out the issue with the fly-through resume. I believe I can smooth that out. I'll post back when a fix is available.
  • PShoreyPShorey Global Mapper Developer Posts: 175Moderator, Trusted User
    edited February 2015
    Kentman,

I have corrected the fly-through resume issue. The update is available for download:
    http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/downloads/global-mapper/global_mapper16.zip
    http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/downloads/global-mapper/global_mapper16_64bit.zip

Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v16.xx installation folder.
This discussion has been closed.