Global Mapper v25.0

dae building at wrong elevation

kentman
kentman Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited October 2014 in Technical Support
I have just downloaded a KMZ containing a dae of Canterbury Cathdral and brought it into GM16 on top of a LiDAR DTM but it sits partially below the surface (see image). How can I 'pull it up' so it sits on the DTM correctly?

Kent

Cathedral.jpg

Comments

• JeffH@BMG
    JeffH@BMG Global Mapper Developer Trusted User
    edited October 2014
    Hi Kent,

At this time, there's not a lot that you can do in Global Mapper itself. The meshes that compose the don't respond to the 3D setting "Relation of Vector Data Elevations to Terrain" in the same way that points, lines and areas do. 3D models do have a setting whereby an elevation can be set, and relation to the terrain defined, but there's currently no way to edit them yet; we'll be looking to add that in the near future (I'll make a ticket for the feature when I get back to the office).

What you can do is unzip your KMZ file to a new folder (rename the extension from ".kmz" to to ".zip" first, if need be), locate the "doc.kml" file that should exist in the unzipped folder tree, and bring it up in a text editor. There are two settings that you can tinker with that would affect elevation: altitude mode and altitude. You should see them looking something like the following (the red values are the ones you would change):
    <Location>
    <longitude>-1.797294483088</longitude>
    <latitude>51.064949026403</latitude>
    <altitude>[COLOR=#FF0000]0.000000000000[/COLOR]</altitude>
    </Location>

The altitude setting here gives the base elevation for the model, in meters.
    <altitudeMode>[COLOR=#ff0000]relativeToGround[/COLOR]</altitudeMode>

Altitude mode governs how the base elevation is interpreted. Allowable values are:
    "relativeToGround" --> actual model elevation is taken as the elevation of the terrain + the altitude setting above
    "clampToGround" --> actual model elevation is taken as the elevation of the terrain, ignoring the altitude setting above
    "absolute" --> actual model elevation is taken as the altitude setting above, ignoring the elevation of the terrain
    "relativeToSeaFloor" --> elevation is taken as relative to the sea floor; not implemented currently in GM
    "clampToSeaFloor" --> base elevation is set to the value of he sea floor; not implemented currently in GM

I hope this helps; we should be able to make it a bit easier for Global Mapper users in the future.

Best regards,

~Jeff