Global Mapper v25.0

Digitiser Tool

srikanthkp
srikanthkp Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited November 2014 in Technical Support
Hello,
I was carrying out the following task using GM13:

I clicked on digitiser Tool/ Then Right Clicked to Select the Create New Line Using Dist/bearing/COGO Input. Then Clicked on the desired point. Then from the menu, I input the Distance as 100 m and bearing as 75. Then click on Add Point. I see a new line on the screen and the end point added in the List of Entered Distance values box at the bottom.
The problem is face is :
I select the new point added and click on Set Start Position, a Select Location menu is displayed where the lat-long values are of the previous point and not the current selected point. Why is this ? What should I do to select the current point added ?

Thanks
Srikanth

Comments

• PShorey
    PShorey Global Mapper Developer Moderator, Trusted User
    edited October 2014
    Hi Srikanth,

I may not be understanding the issue, but the Select Location dialog should always display the coordinates of the starting point, not any of the points added to create the line. Do you mean it showing the coordinates of the start point from a line you previously created? If so, this may be a bug in v13 that has since been corrected. This is working correctly in version 16.
  • 883robert
    883robert Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited November 2014
    I'm having a similar problem. My job is to conduct rapid site surveys by taking multiple sightings with a laser rangefinder from each of several instrument stations. Horizontal distance and azimuth is sent from the rangefinder to my laptop.
    In GM12 I have an instrument station as a point on a map and need to plot the shots each at its respective distance and bearing from the IS. However when I use the digitiser tool and select 'Create new line features using dist/bearing/COGO Input' each new point is added at a distance and bearing relative to the previous new point not to the originally selected point (IS). Even when I select the 'Selected Start Point' from the list of Entered Values and click the button 'Set Start Position' the next new point is added relative to the most recently added point.
    How do I input many new points all at distances and bearings relative to just one selected point?
    Many thanks for your time.
    regards
    Robert,
    Melbourne, Aust.

PShorey wrote: »
    Hi Srikanth,

I may not be understanding the issue, but the Select Location dialog should always display the coordinates of the starting point, not any of the points added to create the line. Do you mean it showing the coordinates of the start point from a line you previously created? If so, this may be a bug in v13 that has since been corrected. This is working correctly in version 16.
  • bmg_bob
    bmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer
    edited November 2014
    Hello,

I think that you will need to start the process over again for each line. When you are using the Distance/Bearing/COGO dialog, you are creating a single line, which is why each point is added relative to the previous point. If you want to create multiple lines, you will need to perform the steps from the beginning for each line.

Cheers,

Bob
  • 883robert
    edited November 2014
    Thanks for the quick reply Bob. Disappointing but then you can't always get what you want. I can still get what I need. By the way I don't understand the function of the 'Select Start Position' button. It seems to have no effect, I'm misusing it.Can you help?
    Thanks and kind regards
    Robert
    bmg_bob wrote: »
    Hello,

I think that you will need to start the process over again for each line. When you are using the Distance/Bearing/COGO dialog, you are creating a single line, which is why each point is added relative to the previous point. If you want to create multiple lines, you will need to perform the steps from the beginning for each line.

Cheers,

Bob
  • bmg_bob
    bmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer
    edited November 2014
    Hello,

In v16, the Set Start Position button is used to modify the start position in the list of Distance/Bearing/COGO values. You can type in new coordinates or select a point from the map, and as far as I can tell, it is working fine. If it is not doing that in v12, it is possible that there is a bug.

Cheers,

Bob
  • 883robert
    edited November 2014
    Thanks Bob, it works fine for me too. I was trying to pick a new start position from the list of Entered Distance/Bearing/COGO values. Everything's fine. Thanks for your time.
    Robert
    bmg_bob wrote: »
    Hello,

In v16, the Set Start Position button is used to modify the start position in the list of Distance/Bearing/COGO values. You can type in new coordinates or select a point from the map, and as far as I can tell, it is working fine. If it is not doing that in v12, it is possible that there is a bug.

Cheers,

Bob
  • Ice Age Mark
    Ice Age Mark Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited November 2014
    Robert,

I don't know if this functionality existed in V12, but in V16 you can select your point with the Feature Info tool, then right click on the attribute field area (even if there are no attributes for the point), and there is an option "Create new line with Dist/Bearing/COGO input from point" that will show up. After you complete your first line, the point is still selected, and you can repeat the process as many times as you like (just right click in the attribute field again) without re-opening the regular COGO function, and continue making more radial lines from your instrument point.

(If V12 doesn't have this function, maybe you could get the trial version of V16 to see if it's worth getting V16 to facilitate your workflow.)

Mark
  • 883robert
    edited November 2014
    Thanks Mark, this does what I want and it's present in V12. It means backing out a couple of steps but I don't have to reselect the point from which I'm plotting the Dist/Bearing/COGO points which is important.
    Many thanks
    Robert
    Robert,

I don't know if this functionality existed in V12, but in V16 you can select your point with the Feature Info tool, then right click on the attribute field area (even if there are no attributes for the point), and there is an option "Create new line with Dist/Bearing/COGO input from point" that will show up. After you complete your first line, the point is still selected, and you can repeat the process as many times as you like (just right click in the attribute field again) without re-opening the regular COGO function, and continue making more radial lines from your instrument point.

(If V12 doesn't have this function, maybe you could get the trial version of V16 to see if it's worth getting V16 to facilitate your workflow.)

Mark