Global Mapper v25.0

Can't change Attribute Name of a SHP file when Exporting

Dionybell
Dionybell Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited September 2014 in Vector Data
Hello, I have a SHP file that I had to edit the Attribute Names in Global Mapper and then I try to export them again. I have GM 15.2 which has the option of Attribute Setup when I export, but on that screen I can't change the Attribute name.

I changed the Attribute Name by right clicking all the features and clicking EDIT, and then renamed them one by one.

But when I try to export the file, I get NAME (The name I edited) and EXPORT NAME (the name without edit).

Why is that happening?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• bmg_bob
    bmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer
    edited September 2014
    Hi Dionybell,

It sounds like the problem you are seeing is that after renaming an attribute, the Attribute Setup tab contains both the original name and the updated name. Is this correct?

Are you sure that you renamed the attribute in all of the features on the layer? The Attribute Setup tab will contain a list of all attribute names that were found on the layer, so if you missed one feature, you will end up with both the old and new names in the list because the feature you missed still has the old name.

I ran a test with the following steps:

1) Loaded a shapefile layer.
    2) Used the Overlay Control Center to select all of the features.
    3) Right-click on the map and choose EDIT.
    4) On the Modify Feature Info screen, I renamed an attribute from CLASS to CLASSIFY, then clicked OK on the Modify Feature Info screen. This renames the attribute for all selected features.
    5) Export to shapefile.
    6) On the Attribute Setup tab, I see only CLASSIFY.

I think the key is to use the Overlay Control Center to select all of the features in your layer.

Cheers,

Bob