Global Mapper v25.0

NLCD 2011 download failure

hjespersen
hjespersen Global Mapper User
edited August 2014 in Technical Support
For the last few days, I have been unable to include NLCD 2011 data. The 2006 version seems to be working okay. I recognize that this may be a problem associated with accessing an external site. I would be happy to maintain a copy of this data on my system to avoid this problem in the future. I downloaded the large zip file from Multi-Resolution Land Characteristics Consortium (MRLC), but I was not able to get it to work. Would someone be willing to provide some instructions on how to use this data directly in global mapper 15.2 64b? Thanks.

Capture.PNG

Comments

• samknight
    samknight BMG Staff
    edited August 2014
    Hi hjespersen,
    I am getting the same 404 message for that data set, we will look into what has happened to that data set and see if the URL has changed. In the mean time, I downloaded the data you linked and I am able to load it up without incident in 15.2 64bit by directly opening the .IMG file in the collection. It actually displays very quickly, thanks to the pyramid files with it. Are you getting a particular error message when loading it? You will need to extract it out of the zip file it is downloaded in if you haven't already. If you can let me know exactly what happens when you open it we can probably get you back on track.

Regards,
    Sam Knight
    Director of Product Management
    Blue Marble Geographics
  • hjespersen
    hjespersen Global Mapper User
    edited August 2014
    Sam, thank you for your reply. Based on your suggestion, I am able to use the .IMG file successfully. I previously had no idea what the various file types were supposed to mean and I was trying to use the .IGE file instead. The only disadvantage of this approach is that the uncompressed file is 17 GB, so I have been saving subsets in global mapper package files. Hal