Global Mapper v25.0

Minimize 3D dialog window

Ice Age Mark
Ice Age Mark Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited August 2014 in Suggestion Box
Howdy,

I study Pleistocene mega-floods, and find that the 3D water level function used in conjunction with a mouse wheel makes for a very dynamic and useful display. (Having water transparency for this is really great too!) However, what I'm finding while doing this is that even with a wide screen monitor, the dialog window takes up about 1/6 of my view. I can just slide my view over, but then it's not a full screen, and then the rotation is un-centered and gets whacky.

My workaround is to slide the dialog window mostly off-screen down at the lower left, where the water elevation box is just visible. This gives me a mostly full screen view when manipulating the water level with the mouse wheel. I can click alternately on the dialog box for water level changes, and on the main view to navigate. If I simply close the dialog window to get rid of it in my view, the water level function closes as well.

My suggestion (if possible) is to allow the 3D dialog window to "minimize", e.g. like the Overlay Control Center. Perhaps someone can think of a better solution, but it seems a shame to waste so much of a nice 3D view on a dialog box.

Thanks for considering this suggestion.

Mark

Comments

• JeffH@BMG
    JeffH@BMG Global Mapper Developer Trusted User
    edited July 2014
    H Mark,

OK, a few things: first, when you say "Minimize", do you mean a true window Minimize operation, using the Minimize icon at the top right of a window (like the Overlay Control Center)? Or do you mean resize by dragging the window's edges, which you can also do with the Overlay Control Center? I'm guessing the latter, since you also want to keep the water-level control active, but I figured I'd ask. By the way, that works slick with the scroll wheel and instant 3D view update, something I wasn't aware of.

Resizing the Overlay Control Center is easier than the 3D View Properties dialog, as it consists mostly of a list of overlays, while the 3D View Properties dialog consists mainly of fixed-size controls. That being said, the 3D View Properties dialog is probably going to be getting some attention as we'll be needing to add more controls for more of the functionality we have planned. SO something to think about there for the future.

In the meantime, we could perhaps come up with a special piece of functionality that works with the water level without needing the dialog to be active, maybe some hotkeys to raise/lower the water level or something along those lines? I'll make a ticket for that and give it a little thought.

Thanks for the suggestion. If you have others, don't hesitate to add them.

~Jeff
  • JeffH@BMG
    edited July 2014
    Ticket # is 14006
  • Ice Age Mark
    Ice Age Mark Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited July 2014
    Jeff,

"...when you say "Minimize", do you mean a true window Minimize operation, using the Minimize icon at the top right of a window (like the Overlay Control Center)?"

Yes. Dragging the size doesn't seem like it would work for the reason you said - the controls are fixed in size.

After more thought, the water elevation level box wouldn't be visible this way, but it still seems a waste to not have that dynamic mouse wheel (or even the slider) water level control without using a big part of the view for a dialog window. Maybe other users have some better ideas?

Mark
  • JeffH@BMG
    edited August 2014
    Hi Mark,

I've been prototyping a couple of approaches to making water level more easily accessible in the 3D view, without needing the 3D View Properties dialog open:

* Holding down the Alt- key while using the mouse scroll button raises and lowers the water level by the configured increment value. In addition, once you've pressed the Alt- key, adding the Ctrl- key will use a smaller increment value (1/4 the increment value), allowing finer adjustments; alternatively, adding the Shirt- key uses a larger increment value (4x the increment value)

* The number pad '+' and '-' keys will also raise and lower the water level by the configured increment value. The Ctrl- and Shift- modifiers work as above.

Let me know if these changes would make things easier for you.

thanks,

~Jeff
  • Ice Age Mark
    Ice Age Mark Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited August 2014
    Howdy Jeff,

Those features sound like good additions and should help a lot, since I'm always running the water level up and down fishing for what best fits certain landforms. That full view will be nice as well.

Thanks for following up on that,

Mark
  • JeffH@BMG
    edited August 2014
    Hi Mark,

Yep, as much as we can keep people from needing the Settings dialog being active, I figure the better off they'll be. Anyways, just to let you know, the plan currently is to release this little UI enhancement in the upcoming GM 16.

We appreciate your suggestions. Thanks,

~Jeff