How to get Global Mapper V 15 installed and Running on UBUNTU?

RudyRudy Global Mapper UserPosts: 4
edited June 2014 in Technical Support
I note the problems in a previous thread in getting V14 running in UBUNTU. Can any one please advise me on the steps required to get current version 15 of GM running on UBUNTU? THank you

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited June 2014
    Are you getting some kind of error running it under WINE on Ubuntu? I haven't heard of any particular problems.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • RudyRudy Global Mapper User Posts: 4
    edited June 2014
    What is the process of installing it on Ubuntu?
  • global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited June 2014
    We don't officially support Ubuntu (or any flavor of Linux) and don't have any official install instructions, but from what I understand from users that have successfully used Global Mapper on Linux you should just run the installers from Global Mapper Downloads under the WINE Windows emulation environment. Perhaps some other user here has more specific instructions though.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
    edited June 2014
    I have just moved the GlobalMapper15_64bit directory from Windows to Ubuntu under .wine/drive_c/Program Files/GlobalMapper15_64bit
    Then added Global Mapper to the Wine configuration, under "Add Application".

But it does not seem to make anything run??

Is there anyone out there who may have successfully installed GM on Ubuntu, and who is running it, who can describe the necessary steps, required to get it up and running???

Regards Rudy
  • RobertRRobertR GlobalMapper Fan! Posts: 284Trusted User
    edited June 2014
    Hello,
    I have tried the same thing in the past year and I could not make it work..unfortunately. My easiest workaround was to run windows on a virtual machine, or the reverse. Actually, GlobalMapper is the main reason why I still have windows :)

Another issue is that at least in the near future there are no plans in making a stable version for Linux (from what I heard from Mike); The task would imply major efforts and there isn't a major market maybe for doing this.

I still think that a Global Mapper - Linux OS would be huge / powerful and somehow in accordance to the current trend of the GIS environment where most of the people involved in this area are OpenSource fanatics thus using Linux OS. At least from my experience with Global Mapper, the GMScripting envir + Python is Gold.

Best,
    edited June 2014
    Thankyou RobertR, yes I have been trying all day without success so far? Not sure if I am going about it in the right way though? (Relatively new to trying to run Windows stuff in Wine...)

I note you comments Re; Open source, an particularly python... i am also a newby user of Python and have found it fantastic so far.... Are you saying its possible to drive GM scripts through Python ??? That sounds very neat !!!

Regards Rudy
  • RobertRRobertR GlobalMapper Fan! Posts: 284Trusted User
    edited June 2014
    Yes, the combination of Global Mapping Scripting and Python is very powerful.

This mix can work both ways:
    1. call a python script from your .gms file:
    RUN_COMMAND COMMAND_LINE="cmd /C 'python E:\scripts\python\edit_shapes.py'"

or
    2. call a .gms script from a python script:
    dir = r"C:\Program Files (x86)\GlobalMapper15"
    cmdline = "global_mapper.exe E:\scripts\globalmapper\my_script_does_somthing.gms -VARIABLE "

The option you choose depends on what you want to accomplish. Usually I take advantage of Python where I do not have those capabilities in Global Mapper. The options available in GMScripting Envir can be found here: Global Mapper Scripting Reference

Once you'll get a hang of them both, you will find how helpful it is.