Global Mapper v25.0

Version 15.2

tjhb
tjhb Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited May 2014 in Announcement and News
Congratulations to Mike and the rest of the programming team on the new point release. There is masses of useful innovation in it--more than in a full version upgrade with most software.

Tim

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited May 2014
    Tim,

Thanks, this did end up being the largest release ever in terms of pages on the 'What's New' at almost 20 pages!

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • RobertR
    RobertR GlobalMapper Fan! Trusted User
    edited May 2014
    Hello,
    Long "What's New page"! :) That's great for users. I've been browsing through it in the past couple of days.
    A big thanks from my end for the SQL support in the Scripting Environment. Other new features are also great, but this one stands out for me.

Cheers to all,
  • tjhb
    tjhb Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited May 2014
    RobertR wrote: »
    ...the SQL support in the Scripting Environment.

I missed this and can't find a reference--can you point me in the right direction? (Perhaps "SQL" here may mean SQL Server, not SQL the language?)
  • global_mapper
    edited May 2014
    Yes in this case SQL means MS SQL Server support, not SQL parsing or anything like that.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • tjhb
    edited May 2014
    Thanks for confirming that Mike. Sounds very useful.

Even so I can't find a mention in the release notes for 15.2 (dated 19/5/2014) of any change in the scripting interface for databases, or a reference to SQL Server in the in the current scripting reference. I'm probably holding it upside down. Where should I look?
  • tjhb
    edited May 2014
    P.s. I also love the new look of the BM website. Looks like a new CMS has been used. Very clean! Fast as well. The new graphic on the GM download page is also beautifully simple, and informative. (Almost Tuftean. If someone didn't know what GIS meant, that graphic would go some way towards showing them.)
  • tjhb
    edited May 2014
    P.p.s. The documentation for spatial database support now seems to be materially out of date (but in a good way!).

The beginning of the topic has no reference to SQL Server—
    Global Mapper can import vector data from and export vector data to the following spatial databases:

• Esri ArcSDE Geodatabase
    • Esri File Geodatabase
    • Esri Personal Geodatabases
    • GeoMedia Access Warehouse (import only)
    • MySQL Spatial
    • Oracle Spatial
    • PostGIS/PostgreSQL
    • Spatialite/SQLite

—and its absence seems to be maintained through the subsequent pages.
  • tjhb
    edited May 2014
    Lastly (for now), I note that my bookmark for the GM scripting reference was out of date.

I have been using Global Mapper Scripting Reference. This link is still live, but now points to an outdated version of the scriptng reference. For example, it contains no reference to the IMPORT_SPATIAL_DB command.

The Resources page has a link to the new version, in a nice new format: GlobalMapper. That version does include the new commands.

I've updated my bookmark—but I won't be the only one who needs to. Perhaps the old link should be removed, or redirected.
  • global_mapper
    edited May 2014
    Actually the link you have should be the master, it just seems that one of the commands was somehow lost from the master. We should have that updated shortly.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
  • tjhb
    edited May 2014
    This might be an explanation (of sorts).

If you go to GlobalMapper and in the left pane click on Scripting reference, then on Script commands, you see two lists of commands, one in the tree in the left pane, one in the right pane.

The two lists should match, but they don't. ([EDITED] There are 11 items in the left pane which do not appear in the right pane. I haven't compared contents.)

In the right-hand pane, we see at the top the statement "The following Script Commands are available in Global Energy Mapper". Oops. Is that the reason for the mismatch? Or is that one list has been updated, the other not?
  • RobertR
    RobertR GlobalMapper Fan! Trusted User
    edited May 2014
    tjhb wrote: »
    I missed this and can't find a reference--can you point me in the right direction? (Perhaps "SQL" here may mean SQL Server, not SQL the language?)

Oh, sorry for that :) I was referring to the Server part but also to the somehow close resemblance that came with the new conditional processing in the Scripting Environment. The new commands "IF/ELSE_IF/ELSE/END_IF" have great potential now that you can use them for conditional execution.
  • global_mapper
    edited May 2014
    I've updated the Scripting Reference at Global Mapper Scripting Reference with the spatial database commands. We are working to avoid the duplicate work and different documentation for future releases.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
  • tjhb
    edited May 2014
    Cool Mike. As mentioned above, there is this anomaly too, in the version at GlobalMapper.
    Scripting reference.png
  • global_mapper
    edited May 2014
    Ah looks like some parameters are mistakenly listed as top-level commands. I'll pass that on to the documentation support.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
  • tjhb
    edited May 2014
    Thanks Mike. Maybe the most trivial issue that has come across your radar in quite a while.