Global Mapper v25.0

Exporting 3d data to machine 3d model using CNC mill

ghbanta
ghbanta Global Mapper User
edited October 2007 in Vector Data
I need some help. I am using Global Mapper 9. I am able to use GM to view my dataset but don't have experience beyond that.

I want to be able to export sea floor depth data for a defined area and use that data to drive a CNC (computer numerical control) milling machine. The end goal is to use the milling machine to make physical models of an area of the sea floor. The models would be similar to those topographic maps that are also three dimensional in plastic.

All I care about is XYZ - no color, text, etc. The output from Global Mapper would be either a grid of XY points and an associated Z or a collection of contours at various levels of Z. Ideally the output would be in a form that could be processed through a CAM (computer aided manufacturing) and then a CNC program to drive the mill. Formats supported by most CAM programs include .dwg, .dxf, .stl and others. My source depth files are DEM files.

I've tried exporting both raster and vector .dxf files to see if they can be read in a CAM program without success. There are many types and many options. Too many to try them all. I would appreciate any insight anyone may have.

Gary

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited October 2007
    If your source depth files are DEM files, all that you need to do is export either an XYZ or STL file using one of the options under the File->Export Raster and Elevation Data menu command (i.e. the STL or XYZ Grid export options).

If you want contour lines, you can use the File->Generate Contours menu command after loading your DEM to generate contour lines, then export those to a vector DXF file.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • ghbanta
    ghbanta Global Mapper User
    edited October 2007
    Mike,

Thanks for the help. I didn't notice .STL on the list. I will try importing data that way.

I did manage to get contours to be viewable in DXF form. But I had two problems: 1. The contours had depth labels that I thought I'd turned off and (2) the contours weren't interpreted in the DXF viewer program to have depth. It appears they were all at zero z. Is there a way to fix those problems?

Gary
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited October 2007
    To get rid of the depth contour labels, just select the 'Do Not Include Display Labels' option when exporting your DXF file (the option is on the DXF export dialog). The exported contour lines should include a single elevation value for the entire contour label. Maybe your DXF viewer only supports 3D polylines with a separate Z value for each vertex rather than those that just store a single Z value for the entire polyline?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com