Reading MB System files

dhitedhite Global Mapper UserPosts: 2
edited April 2014 in Elevation Data
Hi,

I am attempting to import .MB56 files containing processed multibeam data into Global Mapper. I've had a look at the file types list and don't readily see this type. Is it possible to import these files? If not, can this be a feature for the future?

Thanks,
Damian

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited April 2014
    Damian,

Do you have a sample .mb56 format file? We don't currently support that format explicitly, but if it's just a simple text format you might be able to to load it with File->Open Generic ASCII Text File.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • dhitedhite Global Mapper User Posts: 2
    edited April 2014
    Hi Mike,

Attached is a small sample file. The file sizes can be quite big at times.

MB System is a pretty well know processing system. NOAA use this for all their multibeam processing. Their web site is here.

MB-System: Mapping the Seafloor

My issue is that I am not an MB System user, but I get access to these files on a regular basis. Having the ability to read them straight into Global Mapper would be quite helpful.

The format of the files is binary, so this would require some decoding on your side if you decide to implement the feature.

Thanks,
    Damian
  • global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited April 2014
    Damian,

Thanks for the sample and links. I have created a todo item (#13593) for adding MB56 support. This forum thread is linked so we will post here when we add support.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • naugustinnaugustin Global Mapper User Posts: 38Trusted User
    Is there any news on this item? I also have a lot of MB-System files here (*.mb15 files from the NOAA bathymetric data viewer site) but need to convert them all first before I can load them into GM.
  • bmg_bobbmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer Posts: 1,698
    This item has not been implemented yet.  I will add your name to the enhancement request, since having more users request a feature helps bump up its priority, but I can't make any promises as to when it might get done.
  • krabillkrabill Global Mapper User Posts: 4
    Hello, Digging up an old thread here.  I would like to add myself to the list of users requesting .mb56 support. 
  • bmg_bobbmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer Posts: 1,698
    Hello,
    krabill said:
    Hello, Digging up an old thread here.  I would like to add myself to the list of users requesting .mb56 support. 

Your name has been added to the feature request.  Thank you.

Cheers,
    Bob