Is it possible to geocode solely by STATE?

kbelliskbellis Global Mapper UserPosts: 403Trusted User
edited April 2014 in Technical Support
I've got a pretty simple list: 208 2-week testers.zip

(4) fields per record, the third field being STATE.

Is it possible to coax these into a Global Mapper project?

Ultimately, I hoping to make a map that sort of looks like this:
range by color and location example.PNG

My several attempts thus far have results in different shades of failure with accents in strangeness... largely due to what appears that geocoding precision is either (magically some how?) Street Match, City Match or Zip Match - none are State Match. There aren't even any Street, City of Zip fields!

And then the weirdness is how the <Feature Name> ended up looking like this:
geocoding issues on STATE.PNG

And the fact that the actual records total 208 surveyors and is not reflect in database of what had been geocoded.

Thank you very much for any pointers.

Kelly

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited April 2014
    Kelly,

The issue is that the batch geo-coder requires at least 3 known fields if there is no recognized field with the street address to filter out the fields. In this case only the State field is automatically recognized. Since that's just one, the address search is done with the State field first, then the other 2 appended in order under the assumption they are something of use.

You could add a Country column whose value is United States all the way down. To fool the geocoder into having at least 3 known fields maybe also add a Zip column with all blank values.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/
  • kbelliskbellis Global Mapper User Posts: 403Trusted User
    edited April 2014
    With a bit of time, I've been trying this for a good little while this evening without much luck:
    ST ZIP COUNTRY - NOT WORKING.zip

The batch geocoder is unable to handle state, zip and country with any sort of consistency. I've eliminated every field but for these three.

Any ideas what to try next?
  • global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited April 2014
    Some of those geo-coded points are indeed in the wrong state. However looking at some of the zip codes that are mis-placed, like 29000 in South Carolina, I did a search and couldn't find any such zip code. It looks like in most of the zip ranges assigned to a state the zip at an even thousand multiplier doesn't actually exist. I suspect that is throwing off the geocoder as it might not know how to handle an unknown zip. I did find that if I instead search on a known zip code, like 29001, then it puts it in the proper place.

I also suspect that the irregular results happen when one geocoder (i.e. Google Maps) fails to return in some cases, so the backup (Bing Maps) is used, and that gives a different result.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • kbelliskbellis Global Mapper User Posts: 403Trusted User
    edited April 2014
    Thank you Mike!

This is starting to sound more promising... just tough right now finding the time!