ASCii file and dot sizes

Joony-kJoony-k Global Mapper UserPosts: 9
edited February 2014 in Vector Data
Hi.

I currently have an ASCii file with a list of sites which have a certain number attributed to each site along with eastings & northings. I was wondering if there was any way to import the file so that when displayed, each site/point has a different sized dot based on the number attached to it. I imagine this to be sort of like a dot density map (I think). Is this possible?

Regards
Jonathan

Comments

• Jasmine_BMGJasmine_BMG BMG Staff Posts: 174
    edited January 2014
    Hi Jonathan,

If you load the ASCII into Global Mapper and open the Overlay Control Center and then (with the point layer selected) got to Options... you will see that there is a tab in the Vector Options window for 'Point Styles'. Here you can set up specific point styles to be applied to points by attribute value. Global Mapper will then apply point styles to points in the layer, as they correspond to the respective attribute values.

Regards,

Jasmine
  • Joony-kJoony-k Global Mapper User Posts: 9
    edited January 2014
    Hi Jonathan,

If you load the ASCII into Global Mapper and open the Overlay Control Center and then (with the point layer selected) got to Options... you will see that there is a tab in the Vector Options window for 'Point Styles'. Here you can set up specific point styles to be applied to points by attribute value. Global Mapper will then apply point styles to points in the layer, as they correspond to the respective attribute values.

Regards,

Jasmine

Hi Jasmine,

Thanks for your response. I have tried this a couple of times but it doesn't seem to work. Maybe this is due to the way I have made the ASCii file. As you can see from the screenshot below, I have eastings/northings, elevation data (set as 999999) and then a number (the size I need the points to be- This is then followed by a specific site name in each case. If I select attribute 1 to be the point style should this not change the size of each point? I was able to change the label of the points by selecting attribute 2 (site name) so the number should be att 1.

GIS Data Screenshot.jpg

Thanks
    Jonathan
  • GayleShierGayleShier Global Mapper User Posts: 12Trusted User
    edited February 2014
    at the very start of my study of the computing science, i have struggled much with this .. many times have learned and forgot