Exporting distance / elevation file from path profile

rayaverayave Global Mapper UserPosts: 2
edited January 2014 in Technical Support
I am currently using version 9.03 as the starting point for creating elevation profiles ultimately in Adobe Illustrator. After loading a dem and shapefile and then selecting a path with the digitizer tool, I can then generate a path profile for the selected path. Then I can select file / save distance / elevation file to export a comma delimited text file for further processing through excel and illustrator.

The problem I'm having is that the program is exporting over 31,000 distance / elevation data pairs which overloads the Illustrator graphing function (besides providing WAY too much information. I've tried going to options / specify sample count spacing distance to change the sample count, but even if I set the sample count to 2 or the spacing to 1000 meters I still get the 31,000+ data pairs. I've tried all of the sample count options but to no avail.

What's weird is that I've done this successfully in the past and have gotten around 1,000 data pairs which worked great through the rest of the workflow, I just can't find the right knob to turn to change the number of distance / elevation data pairs exported from a path profile. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited January 2014
    It sounds like you are at the proper place to change the spacing, but perhaps there is some extra sampling being done in v9 or something. Honestly that version is so old that some of the profile logic could be quite different than what you can get now as the profile was recently completely redone to have a lot more functionality (especially with Lidar).

Since you are trying to get to Illustrator you might be interested in a new feature just added last week. Now the path profile includes an option under the File menu to export the rendered profile to any supported export format (including PDF) so you can get a vectorized file for easy scaling and modification in something like Illustrator. This function was added after the v15.1 release, so to get it you would first install v15.1 from Global Mapper Downloads, then get the latest daily build. I have placed a new build at http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/downloads/global-mapper/global_mapper15.zip with the latest changes for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v15.xx installation folder to give it a try. If you are using the 64-bit v15 version there is a new build at http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/downloads/global-mapper/global_mapper15_64bit.zip .

You can get that and request a trial from right in the software. If you want to upgrade from v9 to v15 you can contact gmorders@bluemarblegeo.com about how to do that at a discount from the full v15 price.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • Jasmine_BMGJasmine_BMG BMG Staff Posts: 174
    edited January 2014
    Hello Rayave,

I know in the current version of Global Mapper (v15) there is an option to Specify Sample Count/Spacing Distance in the Path/Profile Window, which can allow control over the total number and distribution of data pairs generated for export. I am not sure if Global Mapper v9 has a similar option in this Window.

If you would like to test an export and this functionality in Global Mapper v15 - downloading an evaluation of the current version will not impact your Global Mapper v9 application. Evaluation licenses allow for 4 data exports, and can be requested directly through the Global Mapper registration interface. When you start the application, it will open a license dialog. You can select the last option to R'equest a 2-Week Trial License' to automatically activate via the internet.

Global Mapper v15 download: http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/global-mapper/product/download_complete.php

Regards,

Jasmine
  • medleymedley Posts: 2
    I have loaded a DEM and a line but on right clicking, there is no 'generate path profile'  option
  • sphillipssphillips Posts: 55
    In v17.2

1. Select the line with the Digitizer Tool
    2. Right-click
    3. Analysis/Measurement > PATH PROFILE - Generate Path Profile Along Line(s)...