Global Mapper v25.0

Classify LIDAR points

Dionybell
Dionybell Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited November 2013 in Suggestion Box
Hello GM team.

Are you guys working in new ways to manually classify LIDAR data. So far Im happy with GM 15 but I find the LIDAR module too simple so far.

Im working with a LAS file of a town and I need to classify all the points. Ground, Vegetation (high, mid, low). So far what I'm doing is drawing polygons around a house (for example) and selecting all the points within the polygon and classify them as buildings.

Is there a way, to automatically classify points as buildings based on the RGB attributes of each point? Or a way that I select a group of points and a base height. All points above that base height classify them as X. Something like that.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited November 2013
    We are planning on adding more automatic classification routines, but you might find that classifying using the path profile tool is helpful since you get a side profile. With the Lidar module active draw a path through the data with the path profile tool, then you can select Lidar points and classify them there. Also use hot keys of the class number (like 2 for ground, 8 for building, etc.) to quickly classify some. You can change the corridor width for the path profile on the Path Options menu on the profile dialog.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation