Global Mapper v25.0

error loading shapefile data

hip
hip Global Mapper User
edited October 2013 in Technical Support
Hi!

I've recently downloaded the trial version to check it within the University of Seville in Spain. It's doing quite good in some aspects but right now I got an error while rendering a .shp file:
Error loading shapefile data
Error reading polyline part
ShapefileOverlay.ccp - 2696
v.15.0.4 - 64bit

The same error appeared with different (not all) .shp files downloaded from the Spanish administration but I could open them all in Linux platform making use of OpenJump Gis application.

I've already checked the forum and found some similar issues (if not the same), some in quite old posts. In most of them it showed it was solved by an updated version of Global Mapper.

I'm attaching 3 of the layers showing errors when trying to load them in Global Mapper. Remember it only happens with some of them and ALL could be opened in other applications (so 'file corruption' doesn't sound as a reason).

Any clue?

Thanx for the info and help,
hip

Comments

• bmg_bob
    bmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer
    edited October 2013
    Hello,

I took a look at the shapefiles you attached.

HOJAS.SHP and ALTIPUN.SHP appear to contain an empty shapefile header. There is no data. The error message I got when I tried to load them in Global Mapper was "Invalid file version", rather than the message you got.

PARCELA.SHP loaded successfully.

Can you attach the specific file that produced the error message you are seeing?

Cheers,

Bob
  • hip
    hip Global Mapper User
    edited October 2013
    Hi Bob.

Thanx for the reply.

What do you mean by 'specific file that produced the error message'? I have already attached the files that threw the error and re-written the error message.

hip
  • hip
    hip Global Mapper User
    edited October 2013
    I have just tried to open the parcela.shp file again and that's what I get:

Error loading Shapefile data.
    E:\EDUcacion\2012-13\PFC\01_cartografias\_originales\_catastro\Gelves-rustico-sin-historia\PARCELA.SHP
    Error reading polyline part
    ShapefileOverlay.cpp - 2696
    Version: v15.0.4 (64-bit)
    Build Time: Oct 3 2013 20:32:34
  • hip
    hip Global Mapper User
    edited October 2013
    Hi again.

I keep on testing on this error and confirm that HOJAS.SHP and ALTIPUN.SHP have no drawing/vector defined in them. I opened them in OpenJump and both created an empty layer. Still they're layers and (supposedly) proper files and they give an error in my Global Mapper installation. So, without the help of an extra software I wouldn't have been able to know whether they were empty or not. :-(

Regards,
    hip
  • bmg_bob
    bmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer
    edited October 2013
    Hello,

The shapefile specification indicates that the file header is supposed to include a version field set to a value of 1000. Global Mapper checks this as part of its logic to verify that the file is a valid shapefile. HOJAS.SHP and ALTIPUN.SHP have a value of 0 in this field, so Global Mapper flags them as invalid files. I tried loading the files in Esri ArcMap 10, and they load successfully, producing an empty point layer.

We will take a look at this and decide if we want to ignore the case where a shapefile has a version that is not valid.

I was able to successfully load PARCELA.SHP in the exact same version of Global Mapper that you are using (Version: v15.0.4 (64-bit), Build Time: Oct 3 2013 20:32:34). What version of Windows are you using? You indicated that you also used these files on linux. Are you running Global Mapper in a virtual machine?

The error message you are getting happens when Global Mapper attempts to read data from the file, but the data is not there, so it suggests file corruption, but that is contradicted by the fact that my Global Mapper can read the same file, and so can ArcMap.

Cheers,

Bob
  • hip
    hip Global Mapper User
    edited October 2013
    Hi Bob.

Thanx again for replying.

About the 'incorrect' version field value, everything ok. Is there anyway of editing this value? In which file?
    IMO I'd suggest for this issue verbose error message so that Global Mapper sticks to standards (?) and users have an idea of what's going on.

About the 'PARCELA.SHP mistery' :-) I have to say I use dual boot (Linux-Windows). I was running GM in an up to date Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, no virtual machine. As told I have in same folder some 10 .shp files: 7 rendered ok, 3 showed errors. We now know 2 errors where because of inappropriate file header. One left is still unknown.

As said above thank you for the replies. I don't really need you to solve this for me, as I'm going to use some alternative software now. But if you consider it may help do not hesitate asking me for more data / info / testing.

Regards,
    hip