Rectify grided images

BreeckxBreeckx Global Mapper UserPosts: 6
edited October 2013 in Raster Data
Hi folks, hi Mike,

I have got a question. I know there are some related posts. But I do not find an answer to my particular question.

I could have a large number of not rectified map-images. They could be numbered/sorted methodicly like: ~/folder=colum/fielname=row.png, but without any geographic reference.
Is it possible to organize these not rectified images in an Map Catalog (or something else??) to rectify the resulting large map with 3 to 6 points?

That would help so much! :o
Thank you!

Breeckx

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited October 2013
    If you could fake a world file for each one based on the row/column designation and a pixel size to make them seamlessly go together, then once loaded you could export out to a single image, then rectify that. See World file - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for a description of the world file format, it's very simple and your rotation parameters would always be 0.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • BreeckxBreeckx Global Mapper User Posts: 6
    edited October 2013
    Hi Mike,
    thank you for this information. I thought globalmapper would be able to handle the bulk of images in one batch.
    I was thinking about your hint. But is it workable to export an 1mio x 2mio pixel (that would be the esimated size) image for rectifying? I could grid the export in 9 or more single files. But then the benefit is decreasing...
    Im not shure how I am gonna handle this.

But thank you!

Breeckx
  • global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited October 2013
    For a very large image you could use the ECW or JPEG2000 export. However are you saying 1 million x 2 million (is mio=million?)? If so that is a tremendously large image that would likely be hundreds of GB in size. Assuming it exports ok GM could handle it though in those formats.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Global Mapper