Global Mapper v25.0

Making Imported MIF Files Transparent

acgardiner
acgardiner Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited February 2008 in Technical Support
I am importing MIF files from PathLoss (a radio path analysis software package) and coverage areas are exported to GlobalMapper as solid colour masses which completely obliterate map features beneath those masses.

Is there any way I can make those MIF imports transparent colors within GlobalMapper so that one can see the map features beneath them?

Comments

• Roger Edrinn
    Roger Edrinn Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited February 2008
    My guess is yes.

Open the Configuration dialog > Area tab > Use the Transparent -- Opaque slider on the area style for the overlay.

HTH
  • acgardiner
    acgardiner Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited February 2008
    Thanks for the tip but it doesn't work. Using the Overlay Control Center I can select transparency options for the maps but when I click on the imported MIF and then click on Options I end up with Vector Options and no options for transparency.
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited February 2008
    I would suggest selecting all of the area features with the Digitizer Tool, then right-clicking, selecting edit, then pressing the button to change the style, then using the translucency slider to make them partially transparent.

What Roger was referring to above was changing the default translucency for a particular area type on the Area Styles tab of the Configuration dialog, but that would only work if all of the areas from the MIF file had the same type AND all were using the default style for that type, which is not likely with MIF as it supports its own built-in styling.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited February 2008
    From the screenshots and workspace that you sent it looks like you've got 2 different colors of coverage areas all in the same layer. What you can perhaps do is use the Search->Search by Attributes menu command to find all of the filled red features (assuming they have some attribute to differentiate them), then select and edit them to set the fill translucency.

If there is not any easy way to differentiate them in a search then I would suggest using the Digitizer Tool (the pencil on the toolbar) to select individual area features of the same color (hold down Ctrl when clicking to add to your current selection), then right click, select the Edit option, then change the drawing style to be partially transparent using the translucency slider.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com